New Zealand Diploma in Sport, Recreation, & Exercise (Multi-Sector)*
Choose your area of specialisation within sport, recreation, or exercise sectors. This course will enable you to specialise within the industry of your interest with a 50/50 approach of course study and practical work experience.
You will graduate as a trained professional, capable to lead others and manage a team, or pursue degree-level study with university pathways.
Why choose this course
- Work Placement Opportunities: Gain a well-rounded learning experience with work placements at our partnered organisations and get the chance to work with clients of your own.
- Give back to the community: Work with our partnered Government Health Agency to assist in health initiatives that support the well-being of others.
- Take on leadership roles at a large scale: Experience working with our partnered organisations from a regional to a national level.
- Specialise in your chosen industry: Choose specialised subjects matched to your dream job, whether it be Exercise Prescription or a Community Sports Manager role.
- Sport and Exercise Science
- Performance analysis and strategy
- Training methods and programme
- Business management and industry practices of sport, recreation and exercise
- Research skills for reporting on your specialised area
- Facility and event management
- Kinesiology - functional anatomy, exercise physiology, biomechanics
- Information Technology skills
- Advanced coaching and exercise programme development
- Run an initiative that benefits the community
- Developing your own strategy and testing it within the workforce
Following graduation, you'll ready to work within a broad range of leading organisations such as community health providers, outdoor education centres, exercise facilities, iwi organisations, local councils, cultural centres, primary health organisations, regional sports trusts, and recreation, sport and leisure centres.
You’ll be prepared to take on roles such as:
- Community sport manager
- Community health manager
- Event manager
- Facility manager
- Hauora or health exercise educator
- Outdoor educator
- Outdoor recreation manager
- Parks manager
- Recreation planner
- Recreation manager
- Sport director
- Sport Kairangahau
- Sport Kaiako
- Whānau Ora manager
You’ll also be eligible to enrol in some third year bachelor degree’s with Open Polytechnic and MIT or pursue degree opportunities with Victoria University in Melbourne, Australia. Find out more about our degree pathways.
Get more info
- Tuition fees: $6,500.00
- Course related costs: $561.00
New Zealand Diploma in Sport, Recreation and Exercise (Multi-Sector) (Level 6)*
- 4 February
- 22 July
This programme is offered at our Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch Campuses.
40 Weeks (not including holidays)
- Minimum 18 years of age.
- Appropriate level of English proficiency to meet higher study level.
- You must have completed the New Zealand Diploma in Sport, Recreation and Exercise (Multi-sector) (Level 5) or other tertiary equivalent or; international equivalent.
- If you fail to reach the requirements, you may still be eligible for discretionary approval and may still be considered upon a personal interview.
You may be have relevant qualifications from other institutions and be eligible through a Credit Transfer and Recognition of Prior Learning process.
*Subject to NZQA Approval