Diploma in Sports Management (Multi-Sector) Level 6
This course develops the skills and knowledge needed to become a leader in the sport, recreation and exercise industry.
We offer a 50/50 approach to learning within this course, between course work and practical work experience. Your learning will directly link to the individual and community needs within the cultural, social and economic health & well-being of New Zealand.
Why choose this course
- Work Placement Opportunities: Gain a well-rounded learning experience with work placements at our partnered organisations and get the chance to work with clients of your own.
- Give back to the community: Work with our partnered Government Health Agency to assist in health initiatives that support the well-being of others.
- Take on leadership roles at a large scale: Experience working with our partnered organisations from a regional to a national level.
This course is structure around 4 core papers and 4 electives based on your study and career pathway.
Develop in-depth industry related skills and practice with core papers in:
- Applied Study for Community Development
- Leadership and Coaching
- Professional Practice
- Evidence-Based Practice and Research
- Business of Sport, Recreation, and Exercise; learn business practices within industries and apply to practical context
- Strategic Planning and Management; develop strategies and critically evaluate/improve on coaching practices
- Planning and Event Management; advance event management skills for community or major events
- Sport in Society and Globalisation; sport management in practice and global trends
You will graduate as a trained professional, capable to lead others and manage a team, or you can pursue degree-level study with the University of Canterbury, Manukau Institute of Sport or Victoria University in Melbourne, Australia.
Areas of work include; health providers, outdoor education centres, exercise facilities, iwi organisations, local councils, cultural centres, primary health organisations, regional sports trusts, and recreation, sport and leisure centres.
Sports Management Graduates work in roles such as:
- Community sport manager
- Community health manager
- Outdoor educator
- Outdoor recreation manager
- Sport director
Get more info
Brittany Te Patu
Owner & Director DCS Training, New Zealand
“NZIS taught me the foundations of fitness and business. I then took into my own business. My tutor was always supportive and informative about life after our course, and was very honest about how hard working and determined you need to be.”
- Tuition fees*: $6,395
- Student Service Levy*: $400
- Student loans and allowances are available through Studylink
- Tuition fees: $20,950NZD
- Course fee: $1,250NZD
New Zealand Diploma in Sport, Recreation and Exercise (Multi-Sector) (Level 6)
7 February 2022
This programme is offered at our Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch Campuses.
36 Weeks (not including holidays)
- Minimum 18 years of age.
- Appropriate level of English proficiency to meet higher study level.
- You must have completed the New Zealand Diploma in Sport, Recreation and Exercise (Multi-sector) (Level 5) or other tertiary equivalent or; international equivalent.
- If you fail to reach the requirements, you may still be eligible for discretionary approval and may still be considered upon a personal interview.
You may be have relevant qualifications from other institutions and be eligible through a Credit Transfer and Recognition of Prior Learning process.