Diploma in Sport (Advanced Sport Management)
The NZIS Diploma in Sport (Advanced Sport Management) is a full-time, Level 6 Tertiary qualification. Students enter after the successful completion of their Level 5 NZIS Diploma in Sport Management and Exercise Prescription, or can qualify through the Credit Transfer and Recognition of Prior Learning system.
Sport Management students are able to practically apply what they learn during the year through the organisation of large commercial and non-profit events to gain valuable experience. Their event management skills are developed and improved through direct involvement in the planning and implementation of major multi-faceted events.
Graduates in Sport Management will gain transferable business skills in marketing, management, coaching and administration.
Diploma graduates are suited for employment in a wide range of sporting organisations, including Regional Sports Trusts, sport facilities, sport clubs and societies and other commercial sport businesses.
- Strategic Planning – sport organisation development
- Sport Education – officiating and competition formatting
- Sponsorship – proposal design and implementation
- Marketing and Promotion
- Advanced Event Management
- Sports Law
- Special Populations
- Information Technology
- First-line Management & Risk Management
- Advanced Coaching & Programme Development
Students will be able to complete work placements throughout the year of study. Opportunities are provided for students to gain valuable experience at the ‘coal face’ of the sports industry. Many NZIS Diploma students have been successful in gaining employment in activity centres in the United Kingdom upon completion of their course of study.
Students will be provided with a range of opportunities, over and above their academic requirements for personal development in the sport fitness industry. Workshops may include: Group Fitness, Sport Massage, Sport Strapping, Information Technology, Rock Climbing, Golf, Speed Training, Swiss Ball Training.
Get more info
Career Opportunities & Degree Pathways
- Event management
- Project management
- Leisure facility management
- Marketing and sponsorship
- Branding ambassador
- Sport officiating
- Sports administration
After completing two years of study in the NZIS Tertiary programmes (i.e. our Level 5 Diploma and one of the Level 6 Diplomas), students can enrol in the third year of the Bachelor of Applied Management with the Open Polytechnic or pursue degree opportunities with Victoria University in Melbourne. Find out more about degree pathways by contacting one of our campuses.
- Tuition fees: TBC
- Course related costs: TBC
- Student loans and allowances are available through Studylink.
NZIS Diploma in Sport (Advanced Sport Management) (Level 6)
- 4 February
- 29 April
- 22 July
- 14 October
This programme is offered in Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch Campuses.
46 weeks including 6 weeks of holiday.
- Successful completion of their first year of study at NZIS (the Level 5 Diploma)
- Relevant qualifications from other institutions through a Credit Transfer and Recognition of Prior Learning process - where appropriate
- Students who fall outside of the academic category may still be considered upon a personal interview
- Relevant Experience – Recognition of Current Competency (RCC) - where appropriate