Diploma in Sport (Advanced Exercise Science)
Study sport science and principles of exercise in greater depth.
The NZIS Diploma in Sport (Advanced Exercise Science) is a full time, Level 6 Tertiary qualification. Students enter after successful completion of their first year of study at NZIS or can qualify through the Credit Transfer and Recognition of Prior Learning system.
The Exercise Science Diploma is characterised by higher level study, analysis of sports science principles and programming of exercise. This includes a more focused study of Kinesiology, Exercise Physiology, Functional Anatomy and Biomechanics, giving Diploma graduates an increased level of understanding of exercise science.
Students also learn athlete assessment and develop exercise programmes for a range of population groups; a key skill in the ever expanding personal training industry. Students in their Diploma year may also have the opportunity to work with real clients throughout the year.
This is part of the practical application of the programme, working in areas such as the health initiatives that NZIS runs in conjunction with Government health agencies. At the completion of this year, students are well qualified to enter the industry in the area of their choice.
Many students continue onto higher learning, completing graduate programmes at other Tertiary institutions.
- Strength and Conditioning - periodised programming
- Athlete Preparation for Performance - assessment
- Motor Control
- Kinesiology - functional anatomy, exercise physiology, biomechanics.
- Sport Nutrition
- Sport Psychology
- Special Populations - older adults, previously inactive, children and adolescents.
- Information Technology
- First-line Management & Risk Management
- Advanced Coaching & Programme Development
Students will be able to complete work placements throughout the year. Opportunities are provided for students to gain invaluable experience at the ‘coal face' of the sport industry.
Students will be provided with a range of opportunities, over and above their academic requirements for personal development in the sport fitness industry. Workshops may include: Group Fitness, Sport Massage, Sport Strapping, Information Technology, Rock Climbing, Golf, Speed Training, Swiss Ball Training.
Get more info
Career Opportunities & Degree Pathways
- Personal training and coaching
- Group fitness instructor
- Athlete coaching and development
- Strength and conditioning
- Exercise physiology
- Gym instructor
After completing two years of study in the NZIS Tertiary programme, students can enrol in the third year of the Bachelor of Applied Science with the Open Polytechnic or pursue degree opportunities with Victoria University in Melbourne, Australia. Find out more about degree pathways.
- Tuition fees: $5300.00 (incl GST)
- Course related costs: $995.00 (incl GST)
- Student loans and allowances are available through Studylink.
NZIS Diploma in Sport (Advanced Exercise Science) - Level 6
February 2018 and July 2018
This programme is offered in Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.
46 weeks including 5 weeks of holiday. The July intake has a duration of 49 weeks and finishes in July 2019.
- Successful completion of their first year of study at NZIS
- Relevant qualifications from other institutions through a Credit Transfer and Recognition of Prior Learning process
- Students who fall outside of the academic category may still be considered upon a personal interview
- Relevant Experience – Recognition of Current Competency (RCC)