Certificate in Pre-Police Proficiency
Develop your skills and fitness.
This programme will suit those who demonstrate a strong commitment to joining the New Zealand Police Force, security organisations, the military, or going on to further study. The skills developed during this programme will provide a strong basis for future employment opportunities.
The programme also includes transferable skills, such as communications, information technology, first aid, and exercise prescription and many others. These skills will enhance your knowledge base for further tertiary education and employment.
We recognise that career aspirations may change during the programme, and not all students will join the New Zealand Police, Army or Navy. So we ensure that students finish the programme, armed with skills to take them into different career and education paths.
The 120 credit Pre-Police programme is a full-year programme. At the end of the programme, you achieve the New Zealand Certificate in Pre-Police Proficiency - Level 3. Here are some of the skills you will learn along the way:
- Police Related Activities – exploration of a wide variety of police operations
- Communication Skills – interviewing techniques, assertiveness training
- Information Technology – includes Police requirements for keyboarding skills
- Leading Groups – leadership skills
- Legal Studies
- Emergency Response and Risk Management
- Personal Training – adherence to a physical training programme
- First Aid – completion of the required First Aid Certificate
- Literacy – report writing skills, increasing literacy and vocabulary skills specific to the Police Entrance Test
- Numeracy – analysis and problem solving skills specific to the Police Entrance Test
- Swimming Proficiency
Get more info
Career Opportunities and Degree Pathways
- The Royal New Zealand Police College
- Tuition fees: $5,500.00 (incl GST)
- Compulsory related costs: $955.00 (incl GST)
- Student loans and allowances are available through Studylink.
- NZIS Certificate in Pre Police Proficiency - Level 3
This programme is offered in Auckland and Wellington.
46 weeks, including 6 weeks of holiday.
- Age: 18 years old minimum
- A high level of motivation towards fitness and policing
- Will meet the NZ Police entry requirements, i.e. no criminal convictions, excellent physical attributes (for example: eyesight, Body Mass Index, etc)