Certificate in Personal Training
Level 4 - Part Time or Full Time
Flexibility to study Personal Training part-time or full-time.
Kick start your career in personal training, with New Zealand’s leading sports education provider.
The programme has been designed to provide relevant learning outcomes and to create an integrated learning experience where assessment, both written and practical, are considered within the context of the overall programme of learning, future education and workplace.
This part-time programme is delivered over 30 weeks, involving 20 hours of teaching and learning (10 hours of face-to-face teaching, and 10 hours of self-directed learning which includes a total of 40 hours of work experience that is undertaken on a weekly basis). Self-directed learning includes 5 hours of fitness-based curriculum at a gymnasium (which includes the required work experience) and 5 hours of on-line delivery through Moodle.
The part-time option involves face-to-face classes during weekday evenings and classes held during weekends. It also involves more on-line work than the full-time programme.
The part-time programme is designed to cater for people who are already working or who are looking after a family. The part-time programme will require increased involvement from various fitness facilities (e.g. Personal Training Managers, Gymnasium Managers etc) where the students work.
The full-time option involves attending face-to-face daytime classes at an NZIS campus for 20 weeks.
The six courses that make up the programme are as follows:
- Anatomy and Physiology (10 credits)
- Ethics and Customer Safety (5 credits)
- Nutrition (10 credits)
- Special populations and Exercise Adherence (10 credits)
- Personal Training as a Business (10 credits)
- Exercise Prescription (15 credits).
Students will be able to complete work placements where NZIS provides opportunities for students to gain invaluable experience at the ‘coal face' of the personal training, health and fitness industry.
A wide range of workshops may include: Group Fitness, Sport Massage, Sport Strapping, Speed training, Swiss Ball training, Yoga.
Get more info
Career Opportunities & Degree Pathways
- Personal training (PT) and coaching
- Group fitness instructor
- Athlete coaching and development
- Strength and conditioning
- Exercise physiology
- Gym instructor
- Tuition fees: $3800.00 (incl GST)
- Course related costs: $800.00 (incl GST)
- Student loans and allowances are available through Studylink.
New Zealand Certificate in Personal Training - Level 4
- February 2018
- July 2018
This programme is offered in Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.
- Full Time: 20 weeks, including 2 weeks break.
- Part Time: 36 weeks (breaks to be advised)
- Recommended age: 20 years and older.*
- A demonstrated commitment to the Sport, Fitness and Recreation areas.
- Relevant experience in the Fitness and Recreation Industry is preferred.
*Candidates under 20 may still be considered upon a personal interview