NZIS Certificate in Sport and Recreation
Level 1 and Level 2
Passionate about Sport? No Qualifications? No dramas!
Our Certificate in Sport and Recreation offers Fees Free study for those aged 16-19. If traditional school isn't for you, but sport is, this programme will give you the confidence to progress through further study or step into the workforce.
The NZIS Certificate in Sport & Recreation - Level 1 and Level 2 "SportsZone" programme is aimed at students who have found the school environment challenging, but have a love of sport. This is a Youth Guarantee programme, in which there is a strong emphasis on the practical side of learning.
Students will enrol in a programme of study that will improve their numeracy and literacy skill levels while using sport as the tool for their learning.
Sportszone students will be able to seek employment in basic entry level jobs in the Sport, Fitness and Recreation industries. However, NZIS also provides pathways to a higher level of learning, which would be advantageous for employment opportunities.
NZIS Certificate in Sport & Recreation also recognises that a key objective of the programme is to enhance the personal development of students in the areas of:
- Self Confidence
- Personal Responsibility
- Life Skills
- Problem Solving Techniques
- Goal Setting Skills
Students participate in a wide range of learning environments, which includes both classroom learning and experience-based activities.
- Exercise Prescription – Personal Training: includes weight training and exercise programming
- Sport Teaching and Coaching
- Interpersonal Communications
- Future Planning – Career Pathway and CV Development
- Computing Skills
- Literacy and numeracy programme
- Outdoor Recreation and Adventure Based Learning – includes river crossing, tramping and camping
- Sport Workshops – includes sports such as Basketball, Rugby, AFL, Volleyball, Soccer, Hockey, Aquatics and many more.
- Sport Education – Officiating and competition formatting
- Sport Injuries Management
Students accepted to study in the NZIS Certificate in Sport & Recreation Programme will be given financial support for their study. Through the Youth Training programme funding, NZIS will provide:
- Tuition Fees at no cost - Fees Free!
- Gymnasium Membership
- NZIS Certificate in Sport & Recreation Apparel, including training gear, and tracksuit
- Course related field trips
- All Course Resources and Facilities
- Travel Allowance
Get more info
Job Opportunities & Pathways
- Progression on to NZIS Certificate and Diploma programmes
- Fees Free study for those aged 16-19
- NZIS Certificate in Sport and Recreation - Level 1 and Level 2
- May 14 2018
- July 23 2018
- October 15 2018
Students starting April or later will complete their programmes in 2019.
This programme is offered in Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.
46 weeks, including 6 weeks of holiday. The duration is 49 weeks for those starting in April, July or October and those students finish in 2019.
- Aged between 16 – 19 years
- You must be a New Zealand citizen or have New Zealand permanent residency
- It is valid for one year of Fees Free full-time study in a Level 1-3 programme
- You are not eligible for a student loan
- You may be able to access a student allowance if you meet the relevant eligibility criteria – refer to www.studylink.govt.nz
- A commitment to completing the full year study
- A passion for sport and motivation for learning