Diploma in Sport (Advanced Exercise Prescription)
NZIS Diploma in Sport (Advanced Exercise Prescription)
The NZIS Diploma in Sport (Advanced Exercise Prescription) is a full time, level 6 tertiary qualification. Students enter after successful completion of their first year of study at NZIS or can qualify through the RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning) system.
The Exercise Prescription Diploma is characterized by higher level study, analysis of sports science principles and programming of exercise. This includes a more focused study of Kinesiology, Exercise Physiology, Functional Anatomy and Biomechanics, giving diploma graduates an increased level of understanding of exercise science principles.
Students also learn athlete assessment and develop exercise programmes for a range of special population groups; a key skill in the ever expanding personal training industry. Students in their Diploma year may also have the opportunity to work with real “clients” throughout the year. This is part of the practical application of the course, working in areas such as the health initiatives that NZIS run in conjunction with government health agencies.
At the completion of this year, students are well qualified to enter the industry in the area of their choice. Many students continue onto higher learning, completing graduate programmes at other tertiary institutions.
- Strength and Conditioning – Periodised programming
- Athlete Preparation for Performance – Assessment
- Motor Control
- Kinesiology – Functional anatomy
- Kinesiology – Exercise physiology
- Kinesiology – Biomechanics
- Sport Nutrition
- Sport Psychology
- Special Populations – Older adults, previously inactive, children and adolescents.
- Information Technology
- First-line Management & Risk Management
- Advanced Coaching & Programme Development
Students will be able to complete work placements throughout the year. Opportunities are provided for students to gain invaluable experience at the ‘coal face’ of the sport industry.
The Practicums papers in the Programme provides students with other opportunities, over and above their academic requirements for personal development in the sport fitness industry through a range of opportunities. Practicums may include: Group Fitness, Sport Massage, Sport Strapping, Information Technology, Rock Climbing, Golf, Speed Training, Swiss Ball Training.
- Successful completion of their first year of study at NZIS
- Relevant qualifications from other institutions through a Recognition of Prior Learning process (RPL)
- Students who fall outside of the academic category may still be considered upon a personal interview
- Relevant Experience – Recognition of Current Competency (RCC)
- International students must have an IELTS equivalent of 6.0 or higher with no band score lower than 5.5, or TOEFL 550 with an essay score of 5 TWE
- Tuition Fees: $5360.00 (incl GST)
- Course Related Costs: $1170.00 (incl GST) – Discounted rate if paid prior to or on enrolment day.
- Tuition fees are subject to change.
- Auckland: February 2016
- Wellington: February 2016
- Christchurch: February 2016
After completing two years of study in the NZIS tertiary programmes, students can enrol in the third year of the Bachelor in Applied Science with the Open Polytechnic or pursue degree opportunities with Victoria University in Melbourne. Find out more about degree pathways.