NZIS Diploma in Sport: Advanced Exercise Prescription
Study sport science and principles of exercise in greater depth.
The NZIS Diploma in Sport (Advanced Exercise Prescription) is a full time, Level 6 tertiary qualification. Students enter after successful completion of their first year of study at NZIS or can qualify through the Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) system.
The Exercise Prescription Diploma is characterised by higher level study, analysis of sports science principles and programming of exercise. This includes a more focused study of Kinesiology, Exercise Physiology, Functional Anatomy and Biomechanics, giving diploma graduates an increased level of understanding of exercise science principles.
Students also learn athlete assessment and develop exercise programmes for a range of special population groups; a key skill in the ever expanding personal training industry. Students in their Diploma year may also have the opportunity to work with real “clients" throughout the year.
This is part of the practical application of the programme, working in areas such as the health initiatives that NZIS run in conjunction with government health agencies. At the completion of this year, students are well qualified to enter the industry in the area of their choice.
Many students continue onto higher learning, completing graduate programmes at other tertiary institutions.
- Exercise Science
- Exercise Prescription
- Advanced Athlete Preparation for Performance
- Biomechanical Analysis
- Sport Nutrition
- Sport Psychology
- Special Populations
- Information Technology
- First line Management in Sport & Recreation
- Advanced Coaching & Programme Development
- Communications, Personal & Professional Development Skills
- Human Movement, Skill Acquisition & Testing
Students will be able to complete work placements throughout the year. Opportunities are provided for students to gain invaluable experience at the ‘coal face' of the sport industry.
Students will be provided with a range of opportunities, over and above their academic requirements for personal development in the sport fitness industry. Workshops may include: Group Fitness, Sport Massage, Sport Strapping, Information Technology, Rock Climbing, Golf, Speed Training, Swiss Ball Training.
Get more info
Career Opportunities & Degree Pathways
- Personal training and coaching
- Group fitness instructor
- Athlete coaching and development
- Strength and conditioning
- Exercise physiology
- Gym instructor
- Tuition fees: $17,400.00 (incl GST)
- Compulsory related costs: $1010.00 (incl GST)*
- Enrolment Fee: $130.00 (incl GST)
*Compulsory related costs include fitness centre membership, workbooks, photocopying, NZIS tracksuit, training gear, corporate gear, outdoor education camp, internet and computer room access
NZIS Diploma in Sport - Advanced Exercise Prescription - Level 6
This programme is offered in Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.
46 weeks including 6 weeks of holiday.
- Successful completion of NZIS Diploma in Sports Management and Exercise Prescription - Level 5 or equivalent;
- Academic IELTS 6.0 with no band score lower than 5.5 or equivalent;
- Successful NZIS interview.