Apply Now to secure your spot at New Zealand’s leading Sport & Fitness Institute!
The NZIS Diploma in Sport Management and Exercise Prescription covers the wide range of skills and knowledge required for entry level careers in the Sport, Fitness and Recreation industry.
The large variety of modules ensures that students have explored all aspects of the industry, enhancing their opportunities across a broad spectrum.
At the end of this year of study, students are equipped for entry level jobs such as Sport Coordinators in schools, Gym Instructors, and Event Management Assistants.
Upon completion of their first year at NZIS, students are well positioned to choose their specialised focus for their Diploma year of study. This can be in Sport Management or Exercise Prescription.
This qualification focuses on both exercise science principles and event management theory and practice. This enables students to make an informed choice regarding their area of preference in the Sport, Fitness and Recreation industry.
The NZIS sports and sports management courses suit students who have a passion for sport, whether it be to enhance their knowledge base, to improve their own athletic performance or to seek the real opportunities for careers in the sport industry.
- Exercise Prescription – Exercise programming and exercise science principles
- Communication Skills
- Media Communications
- Sport Teaching and Coaching – Coach Development
- Leading Groups – Leadership skills
- Sport Education – Sport officiating and competition management
- Event Management – Organisation process and practical event management experiences
- Marketing and Sponsorship
- Risk Management
- Sports Administration – Sports organisations
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Athlete Preparation for Performance – Sport nutrition and extreme environments
- Special Populations
- Sport as a Business
- Sport Practicum – Sport coaching qualifications and practical experiences
As with all NZIS courses, whether sports or sports management focused, our NZIS philosophy of “don’t tell me, show me” means all students are encouraged to participate in a wide range of practical opportunities to enhance their experience base.
These have included working at VNZ secondary schools volleyball tournaments, assisting at Pacifically Wellington, working as liaison officers for visiting international sporting teams, liaising between staff for the international Golden Oldies Rugby, and the development of their own events, such as corporate golf tournaments and student sport days.
The Practicums papers in the Programme provides students with other opportunities, over and above their academic requirements for personal development in the sport and fitness industry through a range of opportunities. Practicums may include: Group Fitness, Sport Massage, Sport Strapping, Rock Climbing, Golf, Speed Training, Swiss Ball Training, Sport Officiating, Event and Results Management.
- A minimum 80 NCEA Credits at level 2 in any one year
- A demonstrated commitment to the sport, fitness and recreation area.
- Students who fall outside of the academic category may still be considered upon a personal interview.
Fees are subject to change for the 2017 academic year.
- Tuition Fees: $5460.00 (incl GST)
- Course Related Costs: $955.00 (incl GST)
- Auckland: 7 February 2017
- Wellington: 7 February 2017
- Christchurch: 7 February 2017