Diploma in Sport Management and Exercise Prescription
This fun and practical programme is ideal for school leavers who love sport
Develop an understanding of sport management and exercise prescription leading into an Advanced Diploma and degree pathway or for direct workplace preparation.
The NZIS Diploma in Sport Management and Exercise Prescription covers the wide range of skills and knowledge required for entry level careers in the Sport, Fitness and Recreation industry.
The large variety of modules ensures that students have explored all aspects of the industry, enhancing their opportunities across a broad spectrum.
At the end of this year of study, students are equipped for entry level jobs such as Sport Coordinators in schools, Gym Instructors, and Event Management Assistants.
Upon completion of their first year at NZIS, students are well positioned to choose their specialised focus for their Diploma year of study. This can be in Sport Management or Exercise Prescription.
This qualification focuses on both exercise science principles and event management theory and practice. This enables students to make an informed choice regarding their area of preference in the Sport, Fitness and Recreation industry.
The NZIS sports and sport management courses suit students who have a passion for sport, whether it be to enhance their knowledge base, to improve their own athletic performance or to seek real opportunities for careers in the sport industry.
- Exercise Prescription – exercise programming and exercise science principles
- Communication skills
- Media Communications
- Sport Teaching and Coaching – Coach Development
- Leading Groups – leadership skills
- Sport Education – sport officiating and competition management
- Event Management – organisation process and practical event management experiences
- Marketing and Sponsorship
- Risk Management
- Sports Administration – sports organisations
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Athlete Preparation for Performance – sport nutrition and extreme environments
- Special Populations
- Sport as a Business
- Sport workshop – sport coaching qualifications and practical experiences
As with all NZIS courses, whether sports or sports management focused, our NZIS philosophy of “don’t tell me, show me” means all students are encouraged to participate in a wide range of practical opportunities to enhance their experience and build confidence.
These have included working at Volleyball New Zealand secondary schools tournaments, assisting at Pacifically Wellington, working as liaison officers for visiting international sporting teams, liaising between staff for the international Golden Oldies Rugby, and the development of their own events, such as corporate golf tournaments and student sport days.
Get more info
- Progression to level 6 Diploma programmes and degrees pathways
- Sports administration
- Personal training
- Coaching sports teams
- Sports education
- Gym instructor
- Tuition fees: $5460.00 (incl GST)
- Compulsory related costs: $955.00 (incl GST)
- Student loans and allowances are available through Studylink.
NZIS Diploma in Sport Management and Exercise Prescription (Level 5)
This programme is offered in Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.
46 weeks including 6 weeks of holiday
- A minimum 80 NCEA Credits at level 2 in any one year
- A demonstrated commitment to the sport, fitness and recreation area.
- Students who fall outside of the academic category may still be considered upon a personal interview.