FEES FREE (Ages 16 – 19)
Apply Now to secure your spot at New Zealand’s leading Sport & Fitness Institute!
The NZIS Certificate in Sport & Recreation (Level 2) Programme is aimed at students who have found the school environment challenging for a variety of reasons, but for whom sport is a major interest. This is a Youth Guarantee programme, in which there is a strong emphasis on the practical nature of learning, so a vast portion of the course is practically based. This course is now also available for ages 20+.
Students will enrol in a course of study that will improve their numeracy and literacy skill levels whilst using sport as the ‘hook’ for their learning.
Sportszone students will be able to seek employment in basic entry level jobs in the Sport, Fitness and Recreation industry. However, NZIS provides pathways to a higher level of learning, which would be advantageous for employment opportunities.
NZIS Certificate in Sport & Recreation also recognizes that a key objective of the Programme is to enhance the personal development of students in the areas of:
- Self Confidence
- Personal Responsibility
- Life Skills
- Problem Solving Techniques
- Goal Setting Skills
Students participate in a wide range of learning environments, which includes both classroom learning and experiential based activities.
- Exercise Prescription – Personal Training: includes weight training and exercise programming
- Sport Teaching and Coaching
- Interpersonal Communications
- Future Planning – Career Pathway and CV Development
- Computing Skills
- Literacy and numeracy programme
- Outdoor Recreation and Adventure Based Learning – includes river crossing, tramping and camping
- Sport Practicums – includes sports such as Basketball, Rugby, AFL, Volleyball, Soccer, Hockey, Aquatics and many more.
- Sport Education – Officiating and competition formatting
- Sport Injuries Management
Students accepted to study in the NZIS Certificate in Sport & Recreation Programme will be given financial support for their study. Through the Youth Training programme funding NZIS will provide:
- Tuition Fees at no cost
- Gymnasium Membership
- NZIS Certificate in Sport & Recreation Apparel, including training gear, and tracksuit
- Course related field trips
- All Course Resources and Facilities
- Travel Allowance
- Aged between 16 – 19 years
- Aged 20+
- You must be a New Zealand citizen or have New Zealand permanent residency
- It is valid for one year of free full-time study in a level 1-3 programme
- You are not eligible for a student loan
- You may be able to access a student allowance if you meet the relevant eligibility criteria – refer to www.studylink.govt.nz
- A commitment to completing the full year study
- A passion for sport and motivation for learning
Location and Start Date
- Auckland: February 2017
- Wellington : February 2017
- Christchurch: February 2017